ENVIRONMENT SAVING INITIATIVE
“Saving our planet, lifting people out of poverty, advancing economic growth… these are one and the same fight. We must connect the dots between climate change, water scarcity, energy shortages, global health, food security and women’s empowerment. Solutions to one problem must be solutions for all”
- Ban Ki-moon (Former Secretary-General of the United Nations)
Implementation of SAP was done in 2019, with a goal of going paperless. All departments are now connected on a common platform which were connected by physical documents before which was time taking and tedious. In a year approximately 3,00,000 paper prints were saved.
Just 1,00,000 sheets of A4 paper has a carbon footprint of 6,000kg and requires eight trees and 2,000kWh of energy. We can proudly say we save three times.
In 2019, 500 CFL bulbs were changed to either LED Bulbs for saving energy and cost. This gives 40% energy saving less risky to environment and has 6 times the lifespan
1KWh energy consumed equals 0.85kg of CO2 emission, thus saving 500kg of CO2 per annum
Since Implementation of SAP, we have taken an approach of preventive maintenance rather than breakdown maintenance which was done before. This approach is not only improving the efficiency of the machine but also reducing the use of our resources.
Rain Water Harvesting
In 2018 rooftop construction began in such a way that water could slide into desired channels, which is then used to replenish ground water. Construction of 845000 sq. ft. rooftop was planned which saves approximately 6,00,00,000 liters of water
In 2018 a initiative was taken where water used to wash hands, which was initially let down the sewage was stored and used again to water our green areas. Everyday almost 100 liters of water was used for gardening.
Our segregation technique, helps us a lot in recycling as well, which again be used in manufacturing of the shoe
- We use our textile lining, foam, insole board for creation of a bonded foam. Almost 1500kg of lining waste is generated which can be used as raw material for making bonded foam, thus preventing 42750kg of CO2 emission alone.
- The PU waste trimmed off is shredded and again used as raw material (mid-sole) in our PVC Shoe. Almost 7000kg of PU waste is generated which can be used as virgin PVC, thus preventing 18000kg of CO2 emission alone.
- Leather waste is used again to make leather boards. Almost 2500kg of Leather waste is generated which can be used as raw material for making leather board, thus preventing 3000kg of CO2 emission alone.
In 2020, we started an initiative by asking and educating our company employees to pool resources while getting to the plant. This resulted in reduction of vehicle entering the plant from 400 to 250.
Petrol releases 2.96kg of CO2 per liter. If we consider 30km travel everyday with avg. of 30 km/ltr for 300 working days, then
- At the time of purchase we ensure that our vendors use raw materials that are natural, organic, and biodegradable.
- Example: We ensure that the leather we procure are free from AZO dyes which is very harmful for the environment. To ensure this we do frequent test and ask for relevant certification from the vendors
- After discussion with our vendors we plan the material in such a way that minimum transportation of goods is required. With this technique we reduced incoming trucks by half.
- At the time of sale we give incentives to customers if they procure full load truck quantities. With this technique we reduced dispatches from 600 half load trucks/ small trucks to 250 full load trucks
- Diesel releases 2.63kg of CO2 per liter. If we consider average of 1500km travel with avg. of 5 km/ltr, then we avoid emission 2,76,150kg of CO2 per annum